Tuesday 23 February 2016

Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds, externals


Friday of last week. I have commented recently on the mud and water logged fields make hill walking unpleasant, well, the situation is only very slowly improving. I thought I should do something else, I shall visit a museum, so the idea of a trip to the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds was born.

The museum is located in a part of Leeds city centre that thrived well until the 1960's, when the woollen industries collapsed in Yorkshire. It is in a river  and canal basin, the River Aire I think. A lot of money was put into the area in the nineties and noughties. A number of Victorian wool warehouses and other buildings were converted to offices and apartments and a number of new blocks were built. I like the area, the mix of old and new really appeals to me.

Approaching from the city centre, this is the Museum's stairwell, used as exhibition space for muskets and pikes, etc.

New apartment blocks around the canal basin.


Fancy bridge across the river to other apartments

New blocks and Victorian blocks in the background.

Entrance lobby and public space


4th floor view from the museum, of the converted Victorian buildings
In the U.K., you may have seen on the television news that parts of Leeds city centre suffer from flooding. This is one of those areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment