Tuesday 5 April 2016

Book buying spree

I have given into temptation. I promised myself that I would not buy any more books until I had read a couple of the unread books on the shelves, such as Simon Schama's "Citizens" or Chris Duffy's "Eagles Over the Alps", but I am a weak man. Sometimes, good intentions have to be put aside in order to find the answer to a nagging question or follow an interesting nugget of history. So in the last two weeks I have become reacquainted with our postman as he delivers a few parcels.

First temptation; Osprey had a special offer and I have been curious about the Siege of Petersburg for some time, since someone told me this was the longest and largest siege in the American Civil War. A special offer is a good time to buy a book so I have :-


I have finished this book already, now I know, or at least I have an overview of the siege.

Second temptation: at the end of my talk on the Battle of Verdun, one of the questions asked was did I think the battle was the cause of the collapse of the French Army and the subsequent mutiny. My answer is "No" as I believe the final spark for the collapse was the Nivelle Offensive on the Chemin des Dames in Spring 1917, on top of a number of other factors. Why do I think that? Maybe a new book on this could enlighten me.


Oh, and whilst I am thinking about this, a return visit to the Chemin des Dames would be good so a new guidebook is required. I have a couple of books by Andrew Uffindell, yes, I could buy his new book.


Third temptation; for next year's U3A talk, it was a penny on Amazon, plus two pounds eighty pence for postage - a bargain.


Fourth temptation; a return to my main subject, the military history of the French Third Republic, well, one of my main subjects. This book from Mr Zaloga was part of Osprey's offer.


Fifth temptation; just because I wanted it. This is one of a small series of books from H & C in Paris, on the French Army in 1940. No excuses for this purchase, I just wanted it.


No comments:

Post a Comment