Thursday 16 March 2017

Belvoir Castle, Jordan Valley, Israel

On one of my forays around t'interweb I have tripped over this model castle in 28mm scale.





This is Belvoir Castle in Eastern Israel, 500 metres above the River Jordan. It is a crusader castle, begun in 1168 by the Knights Hospitalier.



It is a very early example of a concentric castle. In 1187, after the Battle of Hattin, Saladin's forces besieged the castle. The garrison resisted for 18 months, only surrendering in January 1189. In later times, it ceased to be a military facility and was occupied by local Arab people as a village until the first Arab - Israeli conflict in 1948.

This is how it looks now.

From my reading of various French websites, I believe the modeller was a chap who goes by the name of Captain Yapudo.

Captain - if you looking at this entry, my congratulations to you, I think this is a magnificent model, fantastic, well done sir. I would love to see this.

1 comment: